The classroom session will cover:
You must score at least 70% on the written examination and shooting proficiency examination to obtain a proficiency certificate. A student will have three (3) opportunities to pass the written examination and shooting proficiency examination.
- Legal Aspect Of Concealed Carry
- Non Violent Dispute Resolution
- Use Of Force And Deadly Force
- Firearms Safety Storage And Handling
- Basic Handgun Marksmanship
- Texas Penal Code
- There will be a 50-question test at the end of the day covering the material in class. You will pass this class with no problem if you pay attention in class. If you should fail the test we will go over the material and test you again.
Handgun Proficiency (Range)
A pistol caliber of .32 or above is required for shooting qualification. If needed, call Memorial Shooting Center and make arrangements for a handgun rental prior to class. Visit http://www.gunrangehouston.com for more information.
- A minimum .32 caliber handgun is required for certification
- Bring your UNLOADED handgun in a bag or case
- Bring 50 rounds of ammo for the qualification exercise
- Bring extra ammo in case you need to retest
The shooting qualification will consist of the following course of fire:
You will fire as directed by the instructor and follow their commands. You must score a 175 out of the possible 250 points using the B27 target as shown. Most persons qualify well before shooting at 15 yards. If you would fail this part, work will be done with you one-on-one at another time to correct any problems so you can qualify.
- 20 rounds fired at 3 yards
- 20 rounds fired at 7 yards and
- 10 rounds fired at 15 yards
Laser sights are not allowed - no acceptions! You can bring you own eye and or ear protection, but both must be worn while in the range. It will be supplied by the range if you need it.
DO YOU QUALIFY FOR A PERMIT? For more detailed information on state CHL requirements, visit the Texas Department of Public Safety web site,
Fingerprints are a requirement of Texas CHL certification and will need to be captured offsite at your own convenience. For more information on how to obtain a fast, electronic capture of your fingerprints for around $10, visit Fingerprint Applicant Services of Texas (FAST) at